In celebration of Earth Day we’re planning some fun and recognition for Saturday, April 23. For us at the Studio, Earth Day is about remembering that we’re on a planet and that our relationship with Mother Earth has an impact. We’re also taking Saturday as our early kick-off to May as the National Bike Month.
Earth Day Ride & National Bike Month Kick-Off
When: Saturday, April 23 at 11 am Where: Starting and ending at the Ride Studio Cafe What: Four ways to share Earth Day and Bike Month at the Studio:
- Reflection Rides: Join us, and a few of our team, on one of two great road rides, helping us reflect on some of the reasons why we ride in the first place:
- ~65-mile challenging loop: This ride will travel through some memorable and lightly traveled road. We'll have two Studio Super Domestiques--what some people might call ride leaders--managing two group speed ranges of 18-20 mph and 16-18mph.
- ~33 mile all-level loop: A great loop for all riding levels. We'll have two Studio Super Domestiques riding with two groups at speed ranges of 16-18 mph and 14-16 mph.
- Bike Commuter Support Program: For the month of May—National Bike Month—we’re hoping to help riders commute more than ever. So, we’re offering a new Studio Bike Commuter Support Program. We’re also helping riders get a head start on May by participating in Saturday’s Reflection Ride.
- Bike Parts Recycling: Many people don’t realize that curbside recycling in most towns does not allow recycling of bike parts, tires, and tubes. So, on Saturday, bring us your worn out bike parts, tires, and tubes and we’ll recycle it all for you. Most towns won’t recycle industrial metals—bike parts are usually considered industrial metal. Fortunately we work with a scrap material dealer that does take industrial materials.
- Bike Donations: Do you have a bike that’s not ready for recycling but is no longer a bike you’re riding? Bring your old bikes to the Studio on Saturday and we’ll get them over to Bikes not Bombs.
Bike Commuter Support Program
For the month of May—National Bike Month—we’re hoping to help riders commute more than ever. One part of this is to offer a new Studio Bike Commuter Support Program. It’s very simple to join the program; here’s how it works:
- Pick up a Studio Commuter Card on Saturday—or anytime in April or May.
- Keep track of the days on which you commute in May.
- Bring the card to us in early June and, depending on how many days you rode in May, you could receive some cool services.
Here is the services list for the Bike Commuter Support Program:
5-11 days: Your choice of a flat changing clinic or derailleur tuning clinic; a value of about $35. 12-17 days: A wheel truing clinic valued at about $50; or one of the above mentioned clinics if you prefer. 18-21 days: A free bike tune-up worth at least $70. 22+ days: A commuter-optimized bike fitting worth at least $90. How do you commute for more than 22 days in May, you may ask? Joining our Club or riding with us on Saturday for the Reflection Ride are two ways you can earn more than 22 days of commuting value.
If you join us for Saturday’s Earth Day Ride you get three days automatically added to your commuter card. This gets you more than 10% of the way through May’s commute!
Club Members’ Additional Benefits
If you're a Club member and you’d like to participate in our May Bike Commuter Support Program, you get three additional days automatically added to your commuter card—you’re automatically more than 10% of the way to a full month of riding. And, if you join us for the Saturday Earth Day Ride you get a total of six days automatically added to your commuter card—more than a week of riding value all in one day!
Confused? Come by on Saturday and we’ll make everything clear—or at least we’ll try.
We hope to see you on Saturday for a great ride. Or, at least we hope you get a moment or two to commune with Mother Nature.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.” - Native American Proverb