The Breakaway Event is a ride to raise money to get kids on bikes and teach them important life skills - and bike skills. What could be a better cycling related cause than this? Research shows that kids that ride are more socially adjusted, community minded, and healthier than kids that don't ride. Help CYCLE Kids get more kids on bikes! The Studio is supporting the CYCLE Kids Breakaway Bike Ride in numerous ways; Two ways include:
- Receive a $25 gift-card from the Studio if you bring us proof of registration - your jersey, for example - after the event.
- Receive a punch-card for five free drinks if you congregate at the Studio on the morning of the ride - before you head over to Lincoln. Depending on which ride you're doing, meet at the Studio one hour before your departure time and you'll have plenty of time to make it to the ride! RSVP if you'd like to meet us for the pre-ride roll over to the deCordova Museum.
Here are some details about the ride:
In celebration of National Bike Month, CYCLE Kids is hosting our First Annual Breakaway Bike Ride and luncheon to raise money to get kids on bikes and on their way to living healthy, active lives!
CYCLE Kids has put together three beautiful rides for you to enjoy on a New England spring morning. All rides leave from the deCordova Museum and Sculpture Park in the historic town of Lincoln, a rural community only 20 miles from downtown Boston. The two shorter rides wind through pastoral Lincoln, Concord, and Sudbury. The metric century will take you past beautiful vistas by the Fruitlands Museum in Harvard, and challenge you with more than 3,000 feet of climbing among the hills of Harvard.
Following the ride, relax and listen to bluegrass music as you enjoy a lunch on the picturesque grounds of the deCordova museum prepared by Best of Boston chef and restaurateur, Paul O’Connell of Chez Henri.
Registration & Start Time Details
All rides leave from the deCordova museum (parking is available on-site). Registration and start details for the morning of the ride are as follows:
Metric Century: register at 7:30 am, ride departs at 8 am 36 mile ride: register at 9:30 am, ride departs at 10 am 19 mile ride: register at 9:30 am, ride departs at 10:15 am
$200 ride fee includes
- CYCLE Kids 2011 Breakaway bike jersey (given to the first 200 registered riders)
- CYCLE Kids waterbottle
- Pre ride snacks
- Ride support from Pedro's and Wheelworks
- Two fully supported refreshment stops
- Post ride bike wash by Pedro's
- CYCLE Kids 2011 Breakaway ride t-shirt
- Delicious lunch prepared by Chef Paul O'Connell of Chez Henri Beer by Vermont's Long Trail Brewery Admission to the Museum's Sculpture Gardens and Gift Shop
$75 luncheon fee includes
- CYCLE Kids 2011 Breakaway ride t-shirt
- Delicious lunch prepared by Chef Paul O'Connell of Chez Henri
- Beer by Vermont's Long Trail Brewery
- Admission to the Museum's Sculpture Gardens and Gift Shop
How Does This Work?
1. REGISTER: For the ride and luncheon: $200 For luncheon tickets only: $75 ($35 for under 18) To fundraise for your ride and luncheon ticket: $50
2. FUNDRAISE: Even if you did not choose the option to fundraise for your registration fee, you can also share your passion and commitment to the CYCLE Kids mission by asking your family members or friends to support your ride with a contribution.
Here's how funds are spent: $ 30 Purchases a Specialized Helmet for a Student $ 125 Provides Bicycle Skills and Nutrition Student and Parent Guides for an entire class $ 220 Purchases a brand new Specialized bicycle for a school $ 500 Covers the expenses of a Teacher and Police Officer Training for a new program $ 1,000 Sponsors a bike giveaway contest for two kids $ 10,000 Donates the CYCLE Kids Program to an entire school or community center
How do you invite your family and friends to learn more about CYCLE Kids and support your efforts to bring more programs to more children? It is quite simple. Send us an email and we will send you a personalized fundraising page on Razoo. You will be able to customize it, share it with your family and friends, and track your donations.
3. WIN PRIZES: Many thanks to our generous sponsors who have provided gifts to thank you for your fundraising efforts.
- Five individual riders raising over $750 will have a chance to win a Thule Strap Rack.
- All riders raising more than $500 will automatically be entered to win gift certificates from local restaurants and other bike related gifts.
Route Maps and Cue Sheets: Below are the links to the three rides.
- Metric Century route map and cue sheet
- 36 mile route map and cue sheet
- 19 mile route map and cue sheet
Refreshment Stops: The metric-century ride and the 36-mile course will have 2 water stops along the route. There will not be a water stop on the 19-mile course. Each water stop will bealso equipped with mechanics, volunteers, and port-o-potties.
There are a few convenience stores along the 3 routes if you need an extra rest stop/ fuel station (see map).
Ride Support: This is a fully supported ride, but participants are encouraged to plan ahead and come to the ride prepared. There will be SAG wagons with professional mechanics available along the routes, as well as mechanics at the start/finish line and at each of the refreshment stops. There will be 3 ride leaders for each route; 1 to lead the way, 1 to ride/stay in the middle of the pack, and 1 to be the last rider on the course or the sweep. Volunteers from The American Red Cross will be available at the start and finish of the ride, along with at the refreshment stops. A first aid kit will be in the SAG wagon as well.
What To Bring: Even though there will be a lot of support provided throughout the ride, riders should take personal responsibility and come to the ride prepared and excited! Below is a list of items everyone should bring with them on May 21st:
— Frame pump — Portable Mini-tool — Individual water and snacks — If needed, bring your own medication (Advil, Motrin, inhalers, etc) because the American Red Cross does not dispense medication of any kind. — Cell phone — Spare tires/tubes (at least 2) — Drivers license/ photo id — Credit Card — Money
Ride hard | Feel good | Help start a child down the right path.
We hope to see you there!