Why I (Love to) Ride
This coming Sunday, July 20th, Rapha is encouraging women across the globe to ride 100 kilometers or more. A great chance to get together to spend a day riding on beautiful roads between here and Mt Wachusett? We wouldn't miss the opportunity. We are very excited to be hosting very fun rides of 100 kilometers and 100 miles in length. Each ride has a group riding at a more casual pace, one moderate, and one quicker. Choose the distance and speed that's right for you. We have many wonderful women who are leading and sweeping so no matter your pace or comfort level, you'll have others to ride and share the day with.
More reasons to come out to ride on July 20th:
- We have a very special and unique Rapha apparel promotion just for you on July 20th.
- Receive a discount for a massage with Kimber Green - she is an outstanding massage therapist who practices in Lexington and Somerville who understands what active women and men need.
- Enjoy Enerchi Bites as fuel on the ride - these are well formulated whole food and active nutrition created by local women who ride. (As seen in the Rapha souplesse jersey in above photo. Taken by Michael Lovely.)
- Meet the RSC Expedition Team - this is a group of six ladies who love to ride and have deep experience in most kinds of riding, racing, juggling work, life and riding, and who are more than happy to answer questions, or simply give you confidence.
- How is your bike working? Any day leading up to the ride, anyone registered may have her bike serviced by our pro mechanics. This week we'll treat your bike to our "Rapha Women's Ride Pro Bike Prep" service: we'll adjust your derailleurs, lube your chain, fill your tires with air, and give the bike a safety check - so you're ready to go on Sunday for $35. Please call ahead so we will expect you (339) 970-0187.
- Have the chance to buy Molly Hurford's book Saddle, Sore - a book written just for women addressing issues and questions that women have on the bike.
Why Do You Ride?
We ask those who register, "Why do you ride?" Here are some of the responses we've received from the ladies who will be riding out of here on July 20th:
Allison: It makes me feel stronger. I'm exhausted after a long ride or race, but I feel accomplished. If I can get through a grueling ride, I can do anything!
Christina: For fun and triathalons!
Helen: It helps clear my head after a long day and after using up all my energy from my ride I can sleep like a rock at the end of the day! This is my first big ride with so many people and it is really exciting to get out on the road and train for it!
Courtney: I love it!
Kelley: I ride because it feels good! I like feeling the wind in my face, my legs working below me and the general feel good vibe that comes from exercising. Also by riding I get to explore new routes and see new parts of cities and towns I would have otherwise missed. Riding in groups doubles the fun as you have other people to share the experience with!
Charlotte: I ride because it makes me feel independent and empowered.
Melissa: It never gets dull.
Ashley: I ride because I love its freedom. Freedom to go wherever you please, from being stagnant, from connection to technology, from being on the grid, freedom from life's distractions and the ability to just enjoy the ride!
Dana: Being on a bike is joyful. it is meditative. it is simple. it allows me to do something i love with people i love and get to places i love and go swimming. it is shared with my littlest nephew, age four, and my oldest grandmother, age ninety-one. i know my strength and joy on a bike.
Jessie: The way you experience the world on a bike is like nothing else, and it is one of the best feelings there is.
Portia: Friendship, competition, speed; wind on my face and burn in my legs
Zabeth: Because on a good day my legs, my heart, and my breath are in harmony and all is right with the world as I fly along just above the ground.
Jeanette: Because it is liberating & a blast.
Liz: Joy, freedom, fitness, obsession, you name it!
Emily: Cuz it's a gnarly fun time.
Mona: Exercise and for fun!
Paula: Because I feel so healthy and alive!
Agnes: Because it is a great way to stay fit and active and have fun with friends at the same time!
Jessica: I ride because I love seeing how far my legs can take me. And I love climbing hills!
Nancy: It's awesome... like flying like a bird
Laurie: It feels like flying sometimes! A sense of freedom It's like being a kid again, playing with friends
Sarah: I ride to keep my mind, body, and soul at ease.
Heather: Relaxation, fitness, sights, smells, sweat
Michele: It helps me clear my head.
Brittany: I love to ride for the workout and to enjoy being outside. I love the reward of a downhill after a difficult climb.
Emilia: Riding is my freedom
Katia: To save on hair products. Wearing a helmet does wonders to my hairdo! Also, padded spandexed shorts are the new little black dress! Don't take my word for it, just take a look around you :)